Thursday, August 24, 2023

In which we kick back a little

 After a flurry of posts & comments in early August I've quieted down a bit.  Back to school and all that.  But two writers I follow recently posted related thoughts so I thought I'd just kick back and link to them.  Alexis posted Hits & Misses.  He's changing up his writing flow a bit but the product is almost always worth the visit.  Meanwhile over at Merrick's Musings we get Indifferent Scenarios, Good Friends.

Both of these writers address the fact that every session is NOT a Maserati. But learning occurs.  And growth.  And friendship.  

My table didn't  play last week.  J just had surgery (successful - we'll be gaming around his rehab starting next week,) C is on family vacation in the Caribbean, and G just got cast in a show so is in rehearsals.  We should have a quorum again by Tuesday.  I realized that in my advanced aged and in these apocalyptic times my appeal has become more selective.  My group is made up of four people.  All of them are or were in my FFL.  Three of the four I played poker with regularly in the Before Times.  Two of the four have done theater with me.  And the thumb we found online - a post on D&D Beyond looking for another player.  And he's become a friend to us all.  And we've had two other players who shared a subculture with one of our current party and I.  With the exception of the Beyond find we ALL know each other through other strong socializing ties.  Yet we get together once a week (most weeks) and play at pretend elves.  

The session isn't always great.  Sometimes the scenario lags.  Homer nods.  The game isn't worth the candle.  But the friendship?  The growth?  The socializing?  It is ALWAYS worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment