Sunday, April 2, 2023

In which we make a big leap in the plot development

 I admit this is the first time I've "written" a campaign.  Designed is a MUCH better word. And as expected there were ... ahem ... issues.  But the study, learning and development goes on.  I regularly visit a dozen design blogs and follow half as many youtube channels.  And only two podcasts.  But the "how to improve/fix" gene is strong here.  

I've wrongly assumed the party would follow my well-placed plot hooks.  They didn't.  Spent most of the winter (in-world) heading the wrong direction.  But I've FINALLY planted the clues (and they've been taken up) that cajole them back into the maelstrom.  They're finally seeing that that IGNORING the problem will only make it worse - for them, and others.  And they're seeing the other side of THAT coin - that addressing the problem, in no matter HOW small a fashion, will have a positive impact on the world.  

I think when spring came but winter didn't leave is when they realized something bigger than them was up.  Right now they're standing at a doorstep.  There's still ample opportunity to turn away.  To pass the cup (since it's Easter.)  But I don't think they will.  Sometime in the next session there will be three major revelations - one clear and two cloudy.  If they unravel the cloudy ones they will clear up and give them a total of three positive courses of action.  

Or they can get on a boat, sail for Dwarfheim and leave this land to rot.  I'm ready for that too.

ps.  Sorry for starting three paragraphs in a row with "I."  Having an Obama moment.  

and thanx to Red Ragged Fiend.  Followed their advice on "building" a DM binder.  Helped immensely. Even (especially?) the parts I ignored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment