Tuesday, January 9, 2024

In which we roll for initiative.

Have I done this before?  Feels like I've done this before.  The last 7-10 days I've seen a handful of YT's
about this topic and read at least double that in blog posts.  "Initiative is broken.  Here's how to fix it."   IMHO Initiative RAW is NOT broken (even though we don't use it.)  Execution is broken.  Implementation is broken.  But the rule itself is reasonable sound.  All of the "team initiative," "go in order around the table,"  "popcorn," etc. will NOT "fix the problem."

Quick recap:  I'm old.  There were only 48 US states when I was born.  I began playing the 1977 or 78.  Stopped in the mid-80's.  Picked up again about five years ago.  Missed out on 2, 3.5 and 4 but I'm familiar with the rule sets.  And here's the thing - I'm also COMPUTER LITERATE.  And I do NOT understand why more DM's do NOT use a computer to assist running their game.  I'm not talking about on-line players (although in many cases, yes, them too.)  

The idea is to reduce the time spent on simple, repetitive, mundane tasks that detract from player (and DM) enjoyment.  The tabulating and collating of initiative order is a GOLDEN example of this.  No matter what fancy named system you're using at your table it could probably be faster with the use of a laptop to hand basic repetitive computation and collation.

I implemented this procedure three years ago, players love it and I've never had a problem.  It's allowed me to keep a brisk pace during combat while keeping the players involved.  It is VERY adaptable to whatever style of initiative you prefer.  And I'm gonna give it to you free, gratis for the mere price of your continued love, affection and admiration.

Let's start with a bit of background about the homebrew that I manage to run via this sheet.  Hopefully the benefits will be obvious.   We roll initiative every round.  Players roll 3d6 and apply their initiative factor.  Takes seconds.  If they have advantage they roll 4d6b and drop the lowest.  Now to the spreadsheet. Column 1 lists the characters in no particular order.  Further down the column I list (as part of my game prep) the creatures they'll likely be encountering.  I also keep brown bear stats handy because they can stand in for a LOT of things.  Column 2 I enter the players results.  Opponent results are generated by the sheet.  I then apply any encumbrance penalty (because we USE encumbrance rules.)  So now I have a column of numbers generally ranging from 3 to 18, tailored and matched to everyone in the encounter.  

Nothing surprising there.  Any DM might do that.  Simple.  But the NEXT step is where the magic happens.  I apply a little conditional formatting to those numbers.  Whoever goes next is highlighted in green with those on deck in yellow.  When combat hits I can open with "Jutoris, you go first.  Kharkon is next."  Party knows that I don't tell them who's next, it's a critter.  

NOW is where it get's spicy.  Everything that the might do has a cost.  Daggers are fast.  Crossbows are slow.  Etc.  And you can't do everything at once.  So let's say Jutoris goes first.  He does his thing (be it moving, casting, or any other action.)  The cost of that thing goes in column 3.  Column 2 reflects that cost and the number goes down.  The conditional formatting then changes Kharkon to green (next) and whatever initiative is next to yellow.  I'll describe Jutorus' action/outcome, mention which player is on deck (if one IS) and then proceed to Kharkon.  Jutorus is NOT done and doesn't know when he will be up next. All players have to maintain focus on the situation because they aren't sure when they'll be called upon to act.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

We do more but for the purpose of THIS post that's all that matters.  Once everyone has done all of their things in the action economy we re-roll and fire it up again.  Easy peasy lemon squeezy.  Player involvement and agency.  Cinematic action resolution.  Quicker combat.  And crunchy rule implementation.     

No comments:

Post a Comment