Saturday, July 10, 2021

In which we play MUCH too long.

 

Prompted by a question from a recent podcast episode. What's the LONGEST session I ever played? As related earlier I started in the late 70's. At some point therein the husband of an acquaintance asked my to introduce he and a few friends to the game. Twenty-somethings. I did. They were hooked. And they played together for years although I never DM'd for them again after that first session. I don't even recall what I ran. But half a decade later I got a phone call. They were ready to wrap it up. And they wanted me to do it. They rented a suite at a hotel here in C-bus. I pulled an all-nighter on Wednesday, took my last exam of the quarter on Thursday, then drove down to sleep as long as I could before the marathon. They'd provided me their character sheets and I'd reviewed them. I was just gonna “de-power” some of their more ridicules stuff but provide the adventure they wanted. I ran the entire G series, then the entire Descent into the Depths. They'd taken Friday off and we started promptly at noon. I would excuse players for food runs and, once we got into Saturday, nap breaks. Hill Giants fell. Frost Giants. King Snurre. They had a couple of close calls pushed on. Through the Drow. Through the Shrine of the Kuo-toa. In the vault they finally lost one. He was the youngest player. Made a rash decision. We took a break and this group of grown men wept for their fallen comrade. A pretend elf.


As Saturday night crept into Sunday morning they braved the Demonweb Pits. And won. And wept some more. Almost 48 hours of essentially non-stop play. I gathered my stuff, loaded my car, drove home and slept for a VERY long time. And I never saw any of them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment