Sunday, July 25, 2021

In which we tread on the toes of the elder ones

 

In my prior post I discussed my first effort at world building. It included a notebook with dozens of pages dedicated to deities. Each had a portfolio, a rune, a color, an animal, a weapon and probably a dozen other symbols. Lonely fun.


Playing and reading about 5e, combined with the passage of 30 years which included five years in the classroom teaching Philosophy, has led to an altered approach to the source of divine magic. Blame it on Odo, Earl of Kent.


You might wanna start with this decent history. Hungry for more? Try this one. And doct
rinaly there's THIS one. For pure gamification there's Goblin Punch. Not an overall fan of Don't Split the Party but they have a nice article from seven years ago. And of course my current Muse, the Tao of D&D has several well written missives on the topic but the best is from 2012 “How to Play a Cleric.” (I especially like #5.) Crossing the Verse gives it a nice treatment as well.


And if you'd prefer to listen to a decent discussion I'd suggest The Wandering DM's, epi 4.


What does all of this mean to my table? Clerics and Paladins will help with the world building. I've used this fascinating site to create a pantheon and will use it to create more as needed. And I'm gonna steal some ideas from here. Players will design their own unique taboos and observances. We'll design the devotions together.


Only one Cleric in the impending party … a Dwarf. He calls for a specific pantheon so I'll revisit the polyhedron site and crank one out! Hopefully outcomes, implications and impacts will be reported in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment